Observership to Japan from the Asian-Pacific Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association
The Japanese Society of Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Surgery (JSHBPS) accepts and supports two observers from the Asian-Pacific area for 3 months every year. The JSHBPS selects an institution according to the candidate’s preference, contacts the chairman of the institution and provides financial support. The amount of the scholarship is 500,000 yen for each successful candidate.
The following are the conditions of the scholarship of 2019;
- The candidates should be a member of either the Asian-Pacific Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association (A-PHPBA) or the Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association (HPBA) of his/her home country. (A junior member of either A-PHPBA or HPBA is also acceptable.)
- The candidate should be less than 40 years old.
- The scholarship includes accommodation, transportation and air fare.
- The term of the observership is 3 months from April to June.
- A CV is required.
- Recommendation letters from the president of either A-PHPBA or IHPBA or the chairman of the candidate’s institution is required.
- It is desirable that the candidates have a paper published in Journal of Hepato-Pancreatic Sciences (JHBPS) in the past as either of the first author or co-author.
- The selected candidates should submit an abstract to the annual meeting of the JSHBPS after receiving the acceptance letter. (The submission deadline of each meeting is usually by the end of Dec, and meetings are held in June of each year.)
- The selected candidates’ registration fee of the JSHBPS annual meeting is free during the observership program.
- The selected candidates should write a report entitled “Observership to Japan: what I experienced in Japan and what I will practice in my country” after finished the observership program. (The report will be published in a Newsletter of JHBPS.)
To apply this observership program, please send a copy of CV, recommendation letters, ID and a title page of published paper in JHBPS (if applicable) to the secretariat of JSHBPS (email@example.com) via Email by the end of May 2018. In addition, in the body of Email,please write your name, position/affiliation in your country and Email address, and please also inform us if you have already had a contact with a chief of an institution in Japan which you prefer to pursue this program. In this case, please inform us the name of chief and institution in the body of Email.
The JSHBPS will send a decision letter to each applicant by the end of September. The institution in where the successful candidates will pursue this observership program from April will be informed by the end of November 2018.